The U.S. Forest Service has closed the following roads in the Pisgah Ranger District of Pisgah National Forest (in the Looking Glass Rock area) near Asheville NC for public safety and resource protection:
• FSR 475B (Headwaters Road) from the intersection of FSR 475 (Davidson River Road, near the Pisgah Fish Hatchery), to Gumstand Gap (Sunwall Trailhead)
• FSR 476 (Wolf Ford Road)
• FSR 477 (Avery Creek) from the Pisgah Stables north to Route 276
• FSR 479 (Bent Creek) from just after Ledford Branch Trailhead to the Blue Ridge Parkway
• FSR 5000 (Wash Creek) from the Blue Ridge Parkway to the junction of FSR 142 (Hendersonville Reservoir Rd.)
Motorized access to trailheads in the Bent Creek Experimental Forest, Wash Creek Horse Camp and Trace Ridge Trailhead will remain open.
The following additional roads (or portions of roads) will be closed if changing weather conditions cause further deterioration:
• FSR 140 (Courthouse Creek)
• FSR 1206 (Yellow Gap)
Seasonal freeze and thaw has caused soft road conditions that make driving difficult. Additional traffic can increase damage to roads and cause sediment runoff into adjacent streams. These conditions also create a public safety concern because of the likelihood of having difficulties traveling on the road, including the possibility of becoming stranded. The duration of these closures will be determined by weather conditions.
For more about Pisgah National Forest, go to http://www.romanticasheville.com/pisgah_forest.htm.